Google Analytics

Friday, April 04, 2014

B is for Baggage

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was surprised to find that baggage allowance on domestic flights in the U.S. might not be as generous as the international ones. Thanks to Southwest I think most of my worries are taken care of, but I would still need to check restrictions of weight and size before investing in some new baggage.

A kind friend on FB also suggested that I should pick out some unique colours so that I would easily be able to identify them on the luggage trolley - best real reason for buying colourful luggage that I've ever heard, and I'm taking full advantage of it ;). What do you think of this one?



For easy reference for other travelers, the baggage allowances are as follows:

Emirates Economy: 2 bags of up to 23 kg each (and yes, we're traveling with 4 tickets so I'm wondering what all I can bring back ;)).

Southwest Economy: 2 pieces of checked baggage allowed for free, each piece should weigh less than 50 lb (which is around 23 kg it seems), and should measure less than 62 inches (l+h+w) in dimensions. I'm guessing the common brands would adhere to these dimensions but might take a measuring tape to the store in any case ;).

Realized that I need to keep the carry on baggage dimensions in mind thanks to a hint from another kind friend on my first blog post. For Southwest, max dimensions are 10x16x24 inches, and for Emirates 7 kg and 115 cm (Wondering why they specifically mention travelers boarding from India - do we have a history of carrying over-large pieces :P?).

I don't think I've ever looked forward to luggage shopping this much ;).. hoping to be packed and organized by next week unlike my usual last minute self - Do you think I'll manage it?

5 comments:

  1. Yes you will manage it! And what a detailed, dimension-specific post. Reminds me of one of your gardening ones ;) Happy shopping, Aparna :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shailaja :). Real pic of the "blue" suitcase I finally bought coming up in the next post ;).

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:25 AM

    Hi Aparna,

    Hope you are doing well :) Just wanted to share details about a campaign by Johnson's Baby called 'Share the Language of Love'. Since its based on a noble cause and you write on various aspects of parenting, thought that this may be of interest to you...

    Writing to you here, since I couldn't find your email id. Would be great if you can share your email id, so that I can write to you with more information about the campaign. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Thanks,
    Romil Zaveri
    The PRactice
    romil@the-practice.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. You that color thing is so much widespread now, you might as well get a black one and stand out in the line :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sirisha, your comment shall be hidden from the hubby who has been persuaded into buying a blue suitcase just a couple of days back ;)

      Delete