Google Analytics

Sunday, July 14, 2013

It was Movie Week :)

We've had quite a few movie starved years, to most viewings limited to what's on TV. In the last couple of years, we managed to go for a few animated kids movies, and the occasional "grown-up" one too, but this week was a refreshing change. With hubby spending some time at home, we managed to catch a couple of morning shows.

Singam II - A total masala and action packed flick, carried totally on the shoulders of the able Suriya. I must say I went in with exactly this expectation and thoroughly enjoyed myself :). There are very few tamil movies that I manage to watch in the theatre so this was quite a treat, and I enjoyed every punchline and every exaggerated fight sequence! Once upon a time, I used to turn up my nose at "violent" movies, and considering that the last tamil movie I saw was Viswaroopam (a total gore-fest), how we seem to change with the times ;). Mentioning the heroines as an afterthought, because they nearly were that in the movie - Hansika Motwani actually had a meatier role than the continuing heroine from the first movie, Anushka Shetty. The usual sudden song sequences and grinding hips were very much present as well :).

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag - It helps sometimes to be a bit vague and unaware of the stories of famous people like Milkha Singh, because it made the movie that much more enjoyable for me. I guess for someone who read up or already knew his history before going into the movie, it might seem a bit slow moving at times. But in my case, I was completely riveted by the story, and needless to mention Farhan Akhtar as well. In this case, the story completely justified it being a complete hero-oriented movie, but I was still quite surprised by the length of Sonam Kapoor's role. I was also waiting during the movie credits on a few lines about what Milkha Singh was doing after the happenings in the movie (English movie ishtyle I guess), but that never happened.

Talaash - This one was on TV last night, and we never managed to catch it in the theatre when it was playing of course, so I determinedly sat and watched it until 12 o'clock. And had to go a little "huh?!" at the final twist part. I need to elaborate here, and JUST in case someone actually wants to see this one later, do not scroll down...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I mean, seriously "Sixth Sense" style?!! My mind refused to take in the whole supernatural twist, though of course that was the tagline of the movie and I should have realized something like this was coming I suppose. No wonder this one did not have a great box office showing, though disappointed that one of my favourite actors was stuck with this storyline.

Forgot to mention, I also liked the fact that none of these movies were 3-D!! Lately it seems like every movie we've been to, has been with those glasses on, and the charm has worn off a bit for me.

9 comments:

  1. haa..want to see BMB..I loved Talaash, actually :-)
    So, how's the Orange Rhino challenge going on? I need some more yoga to even attempt that challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BMB is really good!
    And the Orange Rhino, believe it or not, this is the acid test. Hubby's not in town this week, and I know how bad it can get just then, so I thought it's the best time to start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wont even think of attempting that challenhe.. :P Talash could have done with a different ending but the overall child death thing disturbed me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how bad I am Sirisha! If I can, anybody can I think :P

      Yes, that's a disturbing event in itself, maybe that was why it made me more irritated. The event is traumatic enough, and then dragging on the dramatics with the communication from the dead and stuff.

      Delete
  4. I liked talaash tho when I saw it I did not know there was a supernatural twist. But then I like all AK movies :) I saw Lootera recently - loved it. Try to catch it - it will be a big change from Singam II :))
    I thought you would start the Orange Rhino challenge when hubby is in town, not when he is out :) How is that going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talaash - well yeah somehow the whole seance and stuff not my thing. Lootera is next on the list, as soon as hubby gets back into town ;).

    And the Orange Rhino challenge.. I thought it would be more of a challenge this way you know ;). Already reset to Day 1 starting tomorrow. Can't count today as I already had a meltdown right :(.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see some one else too has issues with 3D
    I dnt like it much either. not in animations !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mind it when it first started Nimue, in fact it was a nice change. But now EVERY movie needs those glasses :P

      Delete
  7. Ah! I enjoyed Singam 2 as well :D A good entertainer...Yet to watch BMB. I really would have preferred if Anushka had a little more role to play than Hansika Motwani...I am hopping over to read what you got to say on the Orange Rhino Challenge...

    ReplyDelete