Google Analytics

Sunday, January 13, 2013

What's on my mind?

When I signed up for Project 52, I thought it would be a breeze after having tried the daily blogathon in December. But no, not really as it seemed I was very badly stuck right in the 2nd week of challenge !!

So I thought the simplest way to break the block is to write about what has been on my mind lately ;).. and that is the last book of the iconic Wheel of Time (WOT) series, entitled "A Memory of Light".

In my usual unobservant style I pre-ordered the Kindle version of the book, only to realize rather late that the ebook version comes out 3 months later than the hardbound. So I made my apologies to the trees and took up a generous offer from Preethi, who had ordered an extra copy by mistake. She was so prompt at sending it to me and the book reached me the next day!

My first impression - Wow it's huge! This being an effect of predominantly using the Kindle except for the occasional paperback. It's been a while since I read a hardbound with nearly a 1000 pages in it. Doesn't deter me though and I'm making steady progress - there used to be a time when I could have finished a book like this in a couple of days but that is close to impossible now. Not even blaming the kids for it, as they know better than to disturb amma when she's reading ;). Just that I don't have the luxury of late nights or all-nighters anymore, and am probably doing a better job of actually reading the book, compared to the speed reading I used to do earlier in my enthusiasm.

With only about a quarter of the book done, I am liking it very much. Brandon Sanderson has written the last 3 books of the series after the author Robert Jordan passed away with the last few unwritten but with a lot of notes written up. In my opinion, he has kept to the essence of the series, while giving it his own style (which is pretty awesome!).

If anyone is interested in the fantasy genre, I would definitely recommend this series, and any other book by Brandon Sanderson (Try Mistborn for a beginning).

Here's to finishing the book before next week's blog ;).

10 comments:

  1. applause to you for keeping up with the once a week marathon, Aparna! I am promising myself to shape up in the days to come ;-) hopefully, I'll catch up soon :-)))
    and, thanks for the reco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma, that's sweet of you :).
      And I know how amazing you will be once you get into the groove, so waiting ;).

      Delete
  2. Strangely enough, never heard of the series. Will give it a shot when my current bunch runs out. Good job on the blogging :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :). Yes you must give it a try, especially Brandon Sanderson if you don't want to spend too much time on a series.. his Mistborn is lovely.

      Delete
  3. Not a fantasy fan, but like good writing of any sort. Reading Book of Joshua by a Bangalore author right now, and committed to the entire series by Wahloo an Skjewall (spellings!) - Swedish crime authors from the '60s - beautifully scripted writing. Love meeting fellow bookworms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting Jane :).
      I have been an Agatha Christie/Isaac Asimov gal for ages, and when I ran out of options there, turned to fantasy. Another big reco in that genre is the Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus trilogy) - you must try that one if you haven't - I think you would love it. Will lend you my copy whenever we meet next.

      Delete
  4. HOw nice! Though am not a fan of reading fantasy i would surely check this out. I am reading Palace of Illlusions that i got as gift from my Secret Santa :)
    I am reading at extremely slow speed but i am enjoying it. Last few months i didn't do any reading so getting myself back in action now...I looove late night reading. Wish to do that again atleast on weekends.
    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Palace of Illusions - such a refreshing viewpoint :). Yes, late night reading is totally my thing too.. leads to a lot of groggy mornings especially on schooldays but I still could never give it up!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Anuradha, thanks so much for dropping in and sharing your ideas! I think that sounds great, we should explore it further.

      Coincidentally we were involved in a marathon blogging session last month, one blog every day :). Do check out our FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/marathonbloggers/ to check out our interactions.

      Delete